What we’ve been up to…
- Congratulations to Bin Kan for joining the tenure-track faculty of Nankai University, China! Wish Bin the best for his future academic career! (Sept. 2021)
- Congratulations to Yingshi Guan for joining the faculty of Southeast University, China as a Full Professor! Wish Yingshi the best for his future academic career! (June 2021)
- Our work on 3D curvy, shape adaptive imager based on CAS printing led by Zhoulyu Rao and Yuntao Lu is accepted by Nature Electronics. (Apr. 2021)
- Dr. Yu was selected to receive the 2021 Senior Faculty Research Excellence Award in the Cullen College of Engineering. (Apr. 2021)
- Faheem Ershad was selected to receive the Cora Hawley Scholarship from TcSUH. Congratulations! (Apr. 2021)
- Denis Nyarwaya was selected to receive the 2021 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship! Congratulations! (Apr. 2021)
- J. Edwards writes a Special Reports titled – Wearables-Fashion With a Purpose: A New Generation of Wearable Devices Uses Signal Processing to Make Life Easier, Healthier, and More Secure – on our drawn-on-skin (DoS) electronics, published in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. (Mar. 2021)
- Our paper of drawn-on-skin (DoS) electronics is in the Top 50 Nature Communications chemistry and materials science articles published in 2020.
- Dr. Yu was selected as the recipient of the 2021 SES Young Investigator Medal. SES Young Investigator Medal is awarded to a promising early-career researcher whose work has already had an impact in his/her field within the engineering sciences. (Dec. 2020)
- Faheem Ershad was recognized as the “Best Presenter” on presenting his work of “Multifunctional, Motion Artifact-Free Sensing and Point-of-Care Treatment with Drawn-on-Skin Electronics” during the 2021 ASME IMECE conference. Huge Congratulations!! (Nov. 2020)
- Our work on rubbery, mulitfunctional epicardial bioelectronics led by Kyoseung Sim, Faheem Ershad and Yongcao Zhang is accepted by Nature Electronics. (Aug. 2020)
- Our review paper on “Soft electronics for the skins: from health monitors to human-machine interfaces” has been selected as the Frontispiece of the journal of Advanced Materials Technologies. (Aug. 2020)
- Our work on binary phased rubbery semiconductor nanofilm and rubbery electronics led by Yingshi Guan is accepted by Science Advances. (July 2020)
- Our work on DoS bioelectronics led by Faheem Ershad is accepted by Nature Communications. (May 2020)
- Our Advanced Materials on reviewing the rubbery electronics was selected as Inside Back Cover. (Mar. 2020)
- Faheem Ershad won the 1st Place Best Poster Award in the NASA 2020 Human Research Program Investigators’ Workshop – NASA HRP IWS 2020. Congratulations! (Jan. 2020)
- Dr. Yu was selected as one of the 2020 SPIE Defense + Commercial Sensing (DCS) Rising Researcher in the area of Micro/Nano Fabrication. (Jan. 2020)
- Congratulations to Kyoseung Sim for accepting a tenure track faculty position in Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology – UNIST, South Korea! Best wishes for his future academic career! (Jan. 2020)
- Faheem Ershad won the 2nd Place Scholarship Award in the UH 2019 Graduate Research Showcase, hosted by The UH Graduate School and the Office of the Provost. Congratulations! (Nov. 2019)
- Our Science Advances paper on rubbery synaptic transistors and neurologically integrated smart skins and neurorobots was highlighted by many media outlets. (Oct. 2019)
- Our Nature Electronics paper on CAS printing and 3D curvy electronics was highlighted by Nature and many other media outlets (Sept. 2019)
- Our Science Advances paper on ultra-soft human-machine interfaces published on was selected as the Cover of 2019 August issue.
- Zhoulyu Rao, Hyunseok Shim, and Anish Thukral received UH Mechanical Engineering Scholarship Awards. Congratulations! ( July 2019)
- Our paper on conformal additive stamp printing for 3D curvy electronics was accepted for publication on Nature Electronics. (July 2019)
- Our paper on rubbery synaptic transistor and neurologically integrated system was accepted for publication on Science Advances. (July 2019)
- Congratulations to Zhoulyu Rao, who was awarded the Cora Hawley Scholarship from TcSUH! (May 2019)
- Faheem Ershad received the prestigious National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship! Congratulations! (Apr 2019)
- Our paper on metal oxide semiconductor nanomembrane based multifunctional electronics for ultra-soft human-machine interfaces was accepted for publication on Science Advances. (Mar. 2019)
- Our work on high effective carrier mobility rubbery semiconductor and integrated electronics was originally published on Science Advances has been highlights by many media outlets. (Feb. 2019)
- Dr. Yu was selected to receive the 2019 Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, under age of 35, for his significant achievements and leadership in manufacturing and heterogeneous integration of materials and electronics. (Jan. 2019)
- Our work on tough, stretchable electronics based on nylon-elastomer composite has been accepted to feature as the Back Cover of the journal of Advanced Materials Technologies. (Dec. 2018)
- Our work on stretchable pre-strained Si serpentine structure has been accepted to feature as the Frontispiece of the journal of Advanced Materials Technologies. (Dec. 2018)
- Congratulations to Kyoseung Sim for being selected to be the only winner of UH Cullen College of Engineering Best Dissertation Award – Summer and Fall Terms 2018 (Nov. 2018)
See the news.
- Our paper titled “Fully rubbery integrated electronics from high effective mobility intrinsically stretchable semiconductors” was accepted for publication on Science Advances.
- Congratulations to Kyoseung Sim for being selected as Best Dissertation Award in UH Materials Science and Engineering Program. (Oct. 2018)
- Kyoseung Sim won the First Prize Best Poster Award in the inaugural workshop of Materials Today: Materials Science for the Next Two Decades. Congratulations! (Sept. 2018)
See the news.
- Kyoseung Sim received UH Mechanical Engineering Graduate Scholarship. Congratulations! (Aug. 2018)
- Our work on bi-directionally stretchable rubbery transistor has been accepted to feature as the Frontispiece of the journal of Advanced Materials Technologies. Congratulations! (April 2018)
- Our work on soft adaptive soft robotics that was originally published on Advanced Materials has been highlights by many media outlets. (April 2018)
Sciencedaily, EurekAlert, CNBC News, RoBo Daily, TechXplore, JerseyTribue, R&D Magazine, Financial Express, Azorobotics, etc.
- Dr. Yu received 2018 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award.
- Dr. Yu received 2018 ONR Young Investigator Award. Thanks ONR for the support! (Feb. 2018)
- Congratulations to our post-doc Haejin Kim for accepting a tenure track faculty position in Gyeongsang National University, South Korea!
- Our work on Electrically Innervated Adaptive Fully Soft Robotics is featured as a Front Cover of Journal Advanced Materials. (Feb. 2018)
- Dr. Yu was selected as an awardee of MIT Technology Review’s 35 Innovators Under 35 China 2017 – TR35 China 2017. — Dr. Yu was cited as a “Pioneer” for his work in the emerging field of soft electronics and breakthrough work on creating stretchable rubbery semiconductor and rubbery transistor, sensors and integrated electronics and systems. (Jan. 2018)
- Congratulations to Faheem Ershad, who received the Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship (PURS). (Dec. 2017)
- Congratulations to Kyoseung Sim, who received the best poster award (1st place) in the ASME IMECE-Wide Posters for NSF-Funded Research! Two 1st place best poster awards on one day!! (Nov. 2017)
- Congratulations to Kyoseung Sim, who received the best poster award (1st place) in the ASME IMECE 2017 Society-Wide Micro and Nanotechnology Form! (Nov. 2017)
- Kyoseung Sim received ABS Scholarship from UH Mechanical Engineering Department. Congratulations! (Sept. 2017)
- Haejin Kim received a very competitive Postdoc Fellowship Fund from National Research Foundation, Korea. Congratulations! (Sept. 2017)
- Our work on rubbery electronics and sensors originally that was published on Science Advances has been highlights by many media outlets. (Sept 2017)
- Our work on moisture triggered physically transient electronics that was originally published on Science Advances has been highlights by many media outlets. (Sept 2017)
Science Daily, Phys.org: Researchers report new way to make dissolving electronics
Materials World: The dissolving phone
Scientific American, Chemistry World: Self-destructing circuits mimic Mission: impossible tape
- Our recent work was highlighted by News on Science magazine.
“Warning: This electronic will self-destruct” Matthew Hutson wrote a News on Science megazine that highlights our work on moisture triggered physically destructive transient electronics, originally published in Science Advances.
- Our paper titled “Rubbery electronics and sensors from intrinsically stretchable elastomeric composites of semiconductors and conductors” was accepted for publication on Science Advances. Congratulations! (July 2017)
- Our paper entitled “Moisture triggered physically transient electronics” was accepted for publication on Science Advances. Congratulations! (July 2017)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in College of Optometry at UH. (July 2017)
- Dr. Yu received the Junior Faculty Research Excellence Award from the Cullen College of Engineering, UH. (May 2017)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in Materials Science and Engineering Program at UT Austin. (Apr 2017)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in EECS Department at U of Michigan, Ann Arbor. (Feb 2017)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in Mechanical Engineering Department at U of Nevada, Reno. (Jan 2017)
- Dr. Yu serves as an Editor for Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology.
- Dr. Yu is invited to serve as an Editorial Board Member for Scientific Reports, a journal from Nature Publishing Group.
- Dr. Yu was appointed as a Bill D. Cook Faculty Scholar in ME Department. Such honor truly reflects the hard work of the whole group. Thank you all! (Aug 2016)
- Dr. Yu was awarded Doctoral New Investigator from ACS Petroleum Research Fund.(Jun 2016)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in the Department of Applied Physics at the Hongkong Polytechnic University. (May 2016)
- Dr. Yu received the Award for Excellence in Research, Scholarship or Creative Activity, at the rank of Assistant Professor from University of Houston. Two each awardee at Assistant, Associate and Full professor rank. (Apr 2016)
- Dr. Yu received NSF CAREER Award. (Jan 2016)
- Dr. Yu received Paul H. Holloway Young Investigator Award from AVS Thin Film Division. (Aug 2015)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in College of Optometry at UH. (June 2015)
- Dr. Yu gave an invited seminar in ECE Department at Rice. (Oct 2014)
- Our work on artificial camouflage skins recieved wide media coverage (Aug 2014)
Discovery (Camouflage Tech Copies Cuttlefish’s Disappearing Act), Time (Octopus Skin Has Inspired a New Type of Camouflage Sheet), BBC (Camouflage sheet inspired by octopus), Yahoo (Color-Changing Octopus Skin Inspires New Camouflage Tech), National Geographic (Adaptive Colour-Changing Sheet Inspired By Octopus Skin), Science News (Nature-inspired camouflage changes its looks with light), Fox News (Octopus camouflage inspires new technology), Wall Street OTC (Octopus inspires camouflage sheet), Nature World News (Latest Camouflage Material Inspired by Cuttlefish), Science Daily (New ‘invisibility cloak’: Octopus-inspired camouflage systems automatically read surroundings and mimic them), Live Science (Color-Changing Octopus Skin Inspires New Camouflage Tech), Popular Mechanics (Behold the Octopus-Inspired Adaptive Camouflage),…
- Our recent paper on “adaptive artificial camouflage skins” was accepted for publishing by Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. (2014)
- Frontispiece feature article for the April issue of Advanced Optical Materials — Silicon-based visible-blind ultraviolet detection and imaging using down-shifting luminophores. (2014)
- Walter wins the 2014 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). Congratulations! (2014)
- New Faculty Research Award was given to Dr. Yu to enhance our research in manufacturing flexible electronics. (2014)
- Back cover feature article for the July issue of Advanced Functional Materials – Deformable, programmable, and shape-memorizing micro-optics. (2013)
- Frontispiece feature article for the March issue of Advanced Materials — Electronically programmable, reversible shape change in two- and three-dimensional hydrogel structures. (2013)